Spots on stained floor

Old 12-27-11, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spots on stained floor

I just stripped/sanded and stained my oak kitchen floors. After applying the first coat of stain, I noticed darker spots that had the same shape and size as my son's stocking feet. I suspect someone with moist feet walked on the floor and raised the grain enough to cause dark spots where the moisture had been. As a result, there are darker foot-shaped spots on the floor.

Any suggestions on how to remove these? I am planning on an additional coat of stain and wanted to get a nice uniform coat before proceeding to the second coat.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-11, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You might try sanding and restaining those areas. I'd reconsider applying a 2nd coat of stain. The wood absorbs most of the 1st coat of stain but generally doesn't take much of the 2nd coat. This causes the stain to lay on top of the wood where it often doesn't fully dry. When the poly is applied over the stain it it can rewet the stain moving it around resulting in a mess

Old 12-28-11, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Mark, as usual, is right on with his advice.

We see people talking about applying a second coat of stain on occasion and I just want to reinforce what Mark was saying - one coat of stain, multiple coats of finish (like polyurethane).