Re Re-Finishing My Floor

Old 01-02-12, 09:59 AM
Re Re-Finishing My Floor

Last year I ripped up the carpet, old linoleum, and junk to find a faded beatup hardwood floor. I sanded it, stained it, and coated it with 4 coats of water-based poly. Didn't look like enough, so I did two more coats, for six! Did all the right stuff in between coats too. It is all but disappeared and the floor looks like crap. What I wanted from the beginning was that "gym floor" look, with a nice thick layer of coating and protectant on top of my hardwood. Cannot seem to find anyplace or anyone who can help me. Can anyone here help me achieve this look? Thanks, Kyle

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-12, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

While water based poly doesn't dry to as hard of a film as oil base, it shouldn't suck in to the wood as bad as oil. With that many coats, you shouldn't have any dry spots

What brand of poly did you use? was it thinned any? how was it applied? how much sanding was done between coats?

The finish used on gym floors may vary but the finish is usually maintained with wax and a buffer. The thing to remember about wax is it ALL must be removed before any poly can be applied.

Old 01-02-12, 07:19 PM
Thanks. I used Varethane water-based gloss poly. No thinning, applied with a brush, and very lightly sanded with 150 grain between coats. I talked to a guy at a nearby flooring store and I think I am gonna have him get me a gallon of StreetShoe 275 gloss to try out. It comes with a hardener and is supposedly very durable.

Old 01-03-12, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible the brush might have been part of the problem. Were you able to keep wet edge while applying the poly? A pad would be quicker ..... and easier on your back

Remember that when using coatings that require a catalyst, you should only mix up what you can use in the allotted time - and don't pour any left over mixed poly back into the bucket!