DIY hardwood floor refinish

Old 01-20-12, 07:04 PM
DIY hardwood floor refinish

I got my oak floors redone 7 years ago. They looked great for a long time, then the dogs wore them down. They still look ok, the polyurethane hasn't completely worn off. I have a few minor gaps I can fill in with wood filler.

I'd like to refinish on my own w/o sanding.

Can I remove the polyurethane with stripping gel than reapply?

Why won't that work?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-12, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Using a stripper on the floor would be a nightmare! Between the fumes and the goo, I wouldn't want any part of it..... and you'd still have to sand once you got rid of the poly/stripper.

If the scratches aren't down to the stain or raw wood, you could sand the floor enough to promote good adhesion [but not down to the stain or raw wood] and then apply a coat or two of poly to freshen it up. Not quite the same as a full blown refinish but a lot easier/quicker.

Old 01-25-12, 10:36 PM
I would agree, do not use the stripper, what a mess. The sanding really is not that bad if you use a fairly heavy grit sandpaper. I had an old poly finish on my hardwood floor and started out with a 150 grit, but the damn poly kept gumming up the sandpaper and it would only last for about 5 minutes. So I switched to a 60 grit, and that worked perfect. For my 230 sq. ft. room I went through about 7 sheets on my orbital sander, and it took me about 3 hours. Not too bad really, as long as I kept vacuuming behind me and a mask on.