New floor installation. Where to start?

Old 01-29-12, 02:46 PM
New floor installation. Where to start?

Am about to start a new floor installation. I have posted my living blue print. There red lines shows the direction of my joist and I want to install the new floor perpendicular to the joist. the only wall I have that is perpendicular to the joist is the short wall by the bay window area. Can I start from there. Please look at the picture comment

untitled.jpg picture by tmjedi - Photobucket

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would start on the long wall. However, at the edge where the stairs are, you will need to breadboard the flooring so the edges don't show. Careful measuring from long wall to stop points is critical in order to ensure the flooring moves squarely in the room.

Old 01-31-12, 02:33 PM
Hi Chandler, I made a mistake with the picture I posted. I have corrected the diagram. The joist is running the other direction. So, please revise and advice on where to start.

untitled-1.jpg picture by tmjedi - Photobucket

Old 01-31-12, 04:33 PM
Same rule, just different direction. Start on the long wall to the right, keeping measurements from wall to wall in mind so the floor will run parallel. When you get to the staircase handrail opening, you will need to breadboard that edge so the raw edges of the flooring won't show. Basically install a bullnose stairtread at the opening with the groove facing toward the room. Use the groove as a starter for each run of flooring. Your groove for your flooring will be to the left, so you will need to install the bullnose, then install a transition strip in the groove to accept the groove of the flooring.

Old 01-31-12, 04:50 PM
ok chandler, just to let you know, there is no wall to the right, its all open, all i have there is a rail then stairs to the basement. so technically, the only wall i have perpendicular to the joist is by the window. Hower it is a very short wall.

Old 02-01-12, 11:24 AM
ok guys, I have uploaded more realistic pictures. click on the link to see my installation.Pictures by tmjedi - Photobucket

This installed hardwood was acclimated for almost a year. I know, I didnt install it right away when i bought it. So, the hardwood planks has seen the most humid weather and most cold weather. However, I have little gaps all over the place after installation. I am thinking about removing it and redo it or should I do a full trowel fill?

Second question, since the planks has been in the house through out the winter and summer, it should have adjusted properly, right? So if i decide to trowel fill it, putty shouldn't be popping out later?

Thirdly, I bought a digital moisture meter from home depot. I measured the moisture content of my subfloor in 7 different areas and it read between 3% and 5%. Then I checked the moisture content of the hardwood floor and its moisture content was 7%. Is this good for installation? Oh, by the way, I live in DC. I need help before I finish the other part of the house. Thanks

Old 02-02-12, 02:45 AM
OK, the plot thickens. You had this flooring sitting in this room for over a year? Or did you have it sitting in the garage? Different atmospheres. It's installed, now, I wouldn't remove it. IMO it has gone through all the changes it is going through. There is heat and air applied to the rooms, right? Your profile says Delaware, so it makes a slight difference.

Old 02-02-12, 04:28 AM
chandler, I had it sitting in this same room for a year. So It has experience the hotest days and coldest times. So do you think trowel filling won't pop out later or remove and reinstall?

Old 02-02-12, 06:48 AM
Old 02-02-12, 03:53 PM
Leave it alone for a season. If you put it in during a dry season, the summer will swell the wood and pop it out. I like tighter flooring, but if you can live with it for a while, I'd definitely not pull it up. Did you use a mechanical "L" nailer/stapler or pneumatic? Curious.

Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM
chandler, I used a pneumatic nailer.