Toe-Kick Saw Minimum Clearance

Old 02-06-12, 01:23 PM
Toe-Kick Saw Minimum Clearance

Hello,

I have to cut 3/4" plywood flooring out from in front of my kitchen cabinets with an overhang. I think a Toe-kick saw would work except that the clearance from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet over hang is just a hair over 3".

I see that the normal blade on a Toe Kick Saw is 3 3/8"....so doing the math I can see that might not work.

I've seen in other posts that people have recommended using a Fein MultiMaster.

My questions are:

Is the Fein the same as any of the other oscilating tools that are out there?

What attachement would you use to cut flush along the Toe kick? They don't specify.

If anyone has the answers, please post me back. Also, if someone has any other ideas about how I can get the desired flush cut, please feel free to post.

Thanks.

Trip

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-12, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Toe kick saw may not work with your clearances. Normally a toe kick is 3 1/2" tall so the saw would fit. I use a Fein, and although they are expensive, they are great tools. You can find knock offs at Harbor Freight that would probably work for a one time job at 1/10th the price. Blades is what will cost you, so price them as well as the tool you plan on purchasing.

Old 02-06-12, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a HF version of the fein multimaster and it's really impressed me although I've only used it a few times. HF has it on sale currently for just $20

Old 02-06-12, 05:37 PM
Thanks for responding. I probably won't spend for a Fein but get something less expensive. Maybe not a HF but something in the lesser price range.

If I do use an oscillating tool for this, what type of blade would work best? Would it be the halfmoon or the regular flat looking one?

Old 02-06-12, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Fein is the one that started the osculating tools rage and they are good tools. I have the HF version I can tell you that is works just fine but is louder (not that the Fein is quiet) and would not run when it is cold. (below freezing) If/when my HF tool fails I will pick up a midrange priced one that uses a other brands of tools.

Old 02-07-12, 03:16 AM
Tripper, you will need an aggressive blade, and I don't think the half moon is aggressive enough for a long run. If you can get them cheap enough, yeah. I buy my blades online at one of the auction houses for a fraction of what new ones cost and they work just "Fein". Couldn't resist. I buy them by the dozens because I use it every day it seems. Less teeth, deeper teeth and you can cut what you want, so look around at the blades.

Old 02-07-12, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the info Chandler. I only have one more concern; In reading reviews about the HF model, people have said that their blades are not the greatest.

Are the blades for these oscillating tools interchangeable? Could I just go to Menards and get a better blade than the ones at HF and have it fit into the HF model?

Thanks. Trip.

PS- I liked the 'Fein' reference!

Old 02-07-12, 04:47 PM
I have an adapter so I can use Bosch blades on my Fein. I am not sure if there are more than one blade that will attach to the HF version. Marksr, or Scott may have better information, and may have bought aftermarket blades. I would see if I could get a pix of the head to see its configuration. The Fein is in an 8 sided cross. The unit only has 4 guides, but the blade can be set at any angle via the different crosses.

Old 02-08-12, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all the info! We'll see how it goes....

Tripper