Advice on laminate floor installation based on room layout

Old 02-14-12, 10:02 PM
Advice on laminate floor installation based on room layout

I have the following layout below. I'm installing laminate flooring and wanted to ask for some advice.

I plan on running the laminate into the closet and the instructions state to start from the left and move right.

I take it I should start inside the closet on the far wall and move left. However, the width of the closet is only about 29.4 inches from the inside wall to the door jamb where the closet door is attached to.

The smallest piece of laminate I have is about 20 inches. Should I cut two 20 inch pieces to 14.7 inches each and use that? The instructions state not to use pieces less than 12 inches in length.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Assuming the laminate will run the long length of the room.....start on the "door" wall inside the closet with your first few pieces and along that long run a few pieces. When you come to the door opening, begin with a long piece and make a cut out for the jamb and continue from left to right (inside the closet to the room). Slight course corrections can be made since the floor is floating. Once you get it rolling you will see how to tackle the mid column span, etc.

Old 02-15-12, 07:32 PM
It has been my experience that the easiest way to get started is to assemble three or four rows along my starting wall, out in the room. I don't try to do the full length of the room, just enough to get a stable start. I then slide the whole thing up to the wall to see if the wall is straight. Laminate is made to some pretty exacting standards and, assuming you've got them together right, the edge should be quite straight. I then scribe to the wall, cut to the scribe, and I end up with an edge that follows the wall and is square with it. I would start at the door and work to the closet. That allows me to use some of my cut offs in the closet. I do a lot of slidig the floor around in the beginning as I cut out for the door jams and so on until I have the first three or four rows finished. After that, I use spacers, if needed, to get it right where I want it and then stack the rest of my materials on it, up against the wall, to hold it in place. Then it's "off to the races" the rest of the way. I've mentioned this before, but not to you so I'll do it again. One of the tricks I use is to cut the sheet rock up half an inch and clean it out, back to the plate. I then install the laminate even with the edge of the wall. After the install is complete, I re-install the base board. This gives the laminate the full thickness of the sheet rock to expand under it and the full thickness of the base to contract. That's normally over an inch all told and gives plenty of room for needed movement without needing any added 1/4 round or running the risk of it being too tight and buckling later.