Quick way to cut tongues or grooves on sides of eng h/w?

Old 02-20-12, 11:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick way to cut tongues or grooves on sides of eng h/w?

Coming to the end of the job. Last areas had a lot of odd cuts and have run out of small whole pieces in the 1/2 inch engineered h/w flooring. So if I am going to make this look good, am going to have to make some tongues or (more likely) grooves in the side of pieces I have already cut.

Is there a simple and accurate way to cut these grooves and put the small bevel on the finished edge so that this works best? Right now, I would use a table saw to cut the groove (assuming the blade kerf is relatively the same as the groove width), use dado setup on the table saw to cut away both sides of a tongue, and hit the top side ever-so-slightly with a router table and a 45 degree chamfer coming out of the table. Not wild about the control and reliability of cutting a groove with a vertical piece of wood, and regardless see a whole bunch of lost time setting up and breaking down the table saw.

What am I missing? Went to three h/w stores and there were no router bits for t&g...the ones on line , are they standard??? Thanks!!!

Old 02-21-12, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the flooring is prefinished, cutting your own tongue and grooves won't be an option as the finish will be destroyed in the area of the cut. Not shuffling your flooring does have it's disadvantages when you end up with 2' pieces . Can you post a few pictures of the remainder of the floor as well as general shots so we can see what you are coming up to? We can't envision the problem totally. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-21-12, 08:09 AM
D
Will try to post pictures later, but hallway has 4 90 degree bends and have ended up with a number of sizable pieces without their female ends, so, ideally would be able to cut grooves and chamfer off the edge. Looking at the finish, the only thing that would be exposed would be the chamfer, but it should still have the stain color (its an espresso brown) and I could touch it up a bit.

Old 02-21-12, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can't you start your runs from the opposite wall and use the cut ends as starters?? Unless you have a tenoning jig to put on a table saw, cutting tongues and grooves on the ends of the flooring will be dissatisfying as well as dangerous.

Old 02-21-12, 05:56 PM
D
can, but the halls are so narrow that it will just create more cut ends later....am now doing the math to see how another 90 degree rotation on the floor may save some cuts. Hallways were 48-50 inches . At this point think another 140 dollar box of wood may be easier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: