How to patch holes after radiator removal

Old 03-03-12, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to patch holes after radiator removal

Hi All - Tried to search this but couldn't find anything. I've been looking online for the best way to patch holes in our hardwood floors after having all of the radiators removed. There are also some burnt looking areas where the old radiator feet were on the floor. I've seen instructions for how to replace the floor boards but we don't have any old flooring that we can use and I'm not sure we're up to that task. Is there a decent way to just patch the holes and match the stain? I'm attaching a picture so you can see what we're dealing with. Thanks all!

2012-03-03 10.37.20 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-12, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you can cut a plug [the correct size] out of oak - that would work decent. After stain and one coat of varnish you'd want to fill any gaps with colored putty to match. I'm not sure how hard it would be to get rid of the water stain..... so replacing a few boards would probably be easier and look better.

Old 03-04-12, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When cutting your plug, be sure to just go through the hardwood and not all the way through the subflooring. That will give your plug something to sit on and to be glued to until you get it sanded down. You will need to overdrill the hole to make it have smooth edges. Not sure what type hatchet they used for the original install
Like Marksr said, replacing the boards will be the best bet, but we understand the quick fix thingy.