Staple nubs in hardwood floor

Old 03-06-12, 09:14 AM
Staple nubs in hardwood floor

Removing the carpet in a house and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath. The pad was stapled down with many staples. When pulling them out, most came but some broke off, leaving sharp little nubs sticking up a 32nd of an inch or so. I'm not worried about how this will look because they're basically invisible, but I'm worried about sanding over them. Standard belt sander starting around 60 grit or so - will the nubs be sanded down, or will they shred the sandpaper? If so, suggestions for removing? Pulling out with pliers is not an option since there's not enough to grip. Grinding down with a 4" diamond wheel is an option, but that sounds tedious and prone to gouging the wood if not really careful.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-12, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They will be hard on the sandpaper. Have you tried using a wire cutter? not to cut the staple but to grab it closer to the wood and pull it out.

Old 03-06-12, 03:20 PM
No, it might possibly work, but the point really is there are broken off staples even flush with the surface, so as the sander grinds through the wood it will get to them also.

Old 03-07-12, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess you'll need to plan on spending more on the sanding

I don't know what your finishing plans are but any steel left in the wood will rust/discolor if a waterbased stain/poly is applied over it. It won't be an issue with oil base stain/poly. Might not be noticeable with the darker stains.

Old 03-07-12, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
Can you set them a bit below the surface with a nail set. Use a filler that drys hard and the sanding will make the filler flush.