Eco Silent Sound HD wood floor underlayment?

Old 03-15-12, 05:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eco Silent Sound HD wood floor underlayment?

I was at a flooring store and they recommended a product called Eco Silent Sound HD for under the wood floors, similar to this:
Eco Silent Sound HD Underlayment | Lumber Liquidators

They have a golf ball you can bounce of the same floor with/without it (just regular felt), and you definitely notice a drastic sound dampening. $0.60 a sqft isn't cheap, but with 3/4" hardwoods going down it seemed like a sound investment.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It also seems to compress a bit, which may make nailing down 3/4" flooring tricky.

Old 03-16-12, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Did they do a golf ball test with the flooring actually nailed down with and without the underlayment??? IMO 15 lb felt would be adequate, and so much cheaper. I don't think nail down floor will see an appreciable silencing by using such a product. Laminate, maybe.

Old 03-16-12, 07:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it was just two boards side by side, one with it, one with normal felt.

the material is sort of like a thin rubber/cork. my concern is that putting 3/4" hardwood over it would make the floor feel spongy, it's thin, but certainly more 'squishy' than rosin or felt.

this is going in a living and dining room (above a basement that will be finished in a few years). would this be a cheaper alternative for nail-down 3/4" hardwood over plywood:
MP Global Quiet Walk Underlayment (100 SF Roll)| Efloors.com

i've seen it mentioned on this forum, but maybe #15 felt is just the way to go. cheap, dampens sound, stops squeaks, no large benefit for more expensive ones for this application?

Last edited by skibum01; 03-16-12 at 07:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: