Expansion Gap Question

Old 03-20-12, 07:59 PM
Expansion Gap Question

Hi, I've searched around, but I can't seem to find the answer. Maybe I'm phrasing it wrong in the search box

My situation is I bought 400 sqft of 5/8" stranded bamboo flooring to do two bedrooms. Now the instructions call for 5/8" expansion gap on all sides to allow for...well...expansion. Now I don't want to put quarter rounds so instead I'm planning to remove the baseboards and then reinstall them on top of the bamboo flooring.

Since the baseboards are only 1/2" thick, it won't cover the expansion gap completely if I measure 5/8" from the wall. So instead I plan to let it expand under the drywall (1/2") and then another 1/4" away from the wall. Then just nail the baseboards back on top covering the wood completely. (Did all that make sense?)

So my question is:

1.) Is it ok to do that? Letting the wood expand under the drywall?

2.) If it is ok, Is there something I'm suppose to do to protect the wood from being exposed to possible moisture coming from behind the drywall? Or is it ok because there shouldn't be moisture coming from behind the drywall anyways?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-12, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) Yes
2) nothing...you are correct, there should be no moisture.

Old 03-21-12, 06:12 AM
phew... Thank you chandler!

Old 03-31-12, 07:18 PM
What are these strips?

I removed the baseboards and noticed these 1/2" X 1/2" strips under the drywall. Any idea what they are and if they are necessary? It sits in there flush with the drywall and in the way of my expansion gap Wondering if I can just remove them. They are loose and not nailed to anything.

Could the be there to support the old baseboards from folding in?

drywallstrips | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-01-12, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They were a lazy man's way of spacing sheetrock off the floor apparently. Remove them and use the space. If there were no baseboard, then they could have been used as quarter round support, but why not nail them in???

Old 04-01-12, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
While replacing baseboard just after I moved in here, I found similar strips behind the old stuff as well. I assumed they were act as a spacer to keep the baseboard from being pulled in too tight when nailed to the sill plate and pulling away from the sheetrock at the top. Some had nails shot through them, but not all. They were below the level of the sheetrock (no weight on them) and pulled right out.