engineered floor

Old 03-22-12, 09:20 PM
engineered floor

I am having engineered hardwood installed after I prepped the subfloors in my upstairs a couple of areas at a time. The first installer provided by the company did very nice work and I was very pleased. Today they sent a different contractor to do the second part, two more rooms, and my wife and I are very disappointed. On the 2nd portion of the install there is crackling virtually everywhere you step and on the first portion, by the good contractor, there is almost no cracking at all. They did use different uderlayments. On the second portion there are also multiple end pieces of wood that they filled in with one inch or less fragments to hide a sizable gap. My shoe molding will not cover some of these gaps even after the put in these fill pieces. I am using the narrower shoe, maybe 7/16ths, but if I went with 1/2 inch I could barely cover the gap. These end pieces are also not securely in place as I can flick them loose with my finger. I also noted that they only stapled every 8 to 12 inches, whereas the manufacturer reccomends every 3-4 inches. Given we are paying $11k for product plus intstall on 1300 sf. are we out of touch firing this 2nd contractor and asking them to redo this defective area at their cost? Can the boards be salvaged as the material cost alone is $1500 to $2000.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-12, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It is a DIY forum, but you definitely have an installation problem. If you are not satisfied with the install, by all means, you have the right to demand it be corrected. At $8.50 per square foot, I would have the general contractor (the one who sends out the crews) come and personally check the two jobs and evaluate it. They will be resistive, as the cost will come out of their pocket. Asking the second contractor to redo the area may be a disaster in the making as they won't be happy campers. $6 per sf for installation should include a flawless install.

Old 03-23-12, 04:14 AM
Thank you chandler. Yes I now this is diy, which I am not really doing this time. I prepped the floors myself, am doing the trimwork and the stairs renovation as part of the same project myself, but don't have the time to do the hardwood. I am confident I could do better work and when I'm paying this kind of money, I feel cheated when the work is subpar. I am a little desperate as the crew is supposed to be back here at 0900 and am in hopes of finding a couple of opinions by others that would likely know more than I do. Thanks

Old 03-23-12, 04:34 PM
Would be interested in hearing their take on it. Also you can post pictures of both sides showing the differences and the problem areas....not closeups.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-23-12, 05:30 PM
resolution

General Contractor came over and agreed with me. Flooring will be ripped up and reinstalled by the first (good) installer who did a fine job. Unfortunately, for the second subcontractor that came in, he'll eat the cost of the flooring and the payment for the work.

Old 03-24-12, 02:43 AM
Sad, but it's business. Glad you got it resolved to your satisfaction.