Engineered flooring on stairs questions

Old 03-24-12, 02:33 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engineered flooring on stairs questions

Hi guys.....hopefully you lot can be as helpful as you have been in the past!

I have been installing engineered flooring throughout my home. I am about to put this product on my hallway and stairs.

I have done it in 3 bedrooms and am happy with it.

I have bought the noses for the stairs but the thing that I am concerned about is the edges and expansion.

Here is my top half of stairs (the bottom half is exposed on the left hand side with a rail.

I know when I rip out the carpet I am goign to have to saw of the old stair nosing to retro fit the new one. The actual nosing for the engineered wood isnt engineered...it looks solid.

My question is, given the need for space at the ends of the rows of my planks, how do I acheive this on each tread?

Right now, teh only logical thought I have is to undercut the white stair trim with a saw and slide under slightly, just like I would laying the floor under door casings.

Thoughts, advice? confirmation?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-12-12, 08:17 PM
M
you got no replies, so let me chip in

I've never done this but considered it for my project and chose to get a veneer kit - nosing and tread all together, and stain it to match the floor. The tread is 3/4" plywood and unlikely to expand very much.

Two thoughts on expansion on hardwood installed on stairs: if expansion in a regular room is supposed to be 1/4 or 1/2 inch on either side, then scaling that expansion to 3 feet side stairs is 1/16th or 1/8th .. seems too small to account for. Or, if really needs to be done, maybe a molding of some sort is needed at tread ends..

Old 04-12-12, 09:02 PM
No expansion on the sides. Wood shrinks and swells across the widths. But you have such a small area on the step, there will be very minimal expansion unless you have very big humidity swings for long periods of time. You also have an engineered wood. It shrinks and swells even less than solid wood.

With the rough framing on the steps, you can cut off the treads bullnose, or block & fur out the riser to meet the overhang.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: