Help!! My floor will not dry!!!

Old 04-07-12, 05:36 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help!! My floor will not dry!!!

I sanded my hardwood floors down this past weekend after pulling up the carpet and applied Minwax Red Mahogony to the floors. I had the assistance of someone who supposedly knew what to do. I was under the impression we purchased the faster drying water based stain, however that was not the case as we later found out after reading the can, that it was oil based. We applied the stain on Monday evening, and it is now Saturday evening and there are many spots on my floor that are extremely tacky and even wet. What can I do???

-Is this excess stain that needs to be removed?
-Can I apply a coat of water based stain over top?
-How about the Poly? Water based over oil based stain?
-Due to the length of time in drying, there is animal fur and foot prints in the areas that are tacky?

I would really like to avoid having to sand these down again. Please, any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-07-12, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Yes, it is excess stain. Hard to believe it is still coming out 5 days later. I'd recommend you start with some paint thinner and a rag and scrub the floor until you remove all the dots of pigment that are still rising to the surface. Spray some rags with paint thinner until they are tacky and wipe the entire floor to remove any dust and/or pet hair. If the paint thinner doesn't remove any of the dots that have dried, try lacquer thinner. But be aware that lacquer thinner may remove so much stain that it will create lighter shades wherever you wipe it.

You may have applied way too much stain, let it soak in way too long. Hopefully after you applied the stain, you wiped the excess off with rags and dried the surface as much as possible. But really the problem is that a lot of the darker minwax oil based stain colors like to "bleed" from the pores of wood, especially on open pored woods like oak.

Old 04-08-12, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
I agree, you'll need to 'wash' off the excess stain!

Waterbased poly can be applied over an oil base stain but only after it's completely dried. Oil base poly can be applied over tacky stain BUT the solvents in the poly can rewet the stain and cause it to be moved around with the brush or pad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: