Laminate Waste Factor?

Old 04-12-12, 08:05 AM
Laminate Waste Factor?

What waste factor should I allow for on a laminate floor?

I purchased my laminate some time ago and am now getting ready to install. I may not have enough as I changed my mind as to where the laminate was going and I cannot get anymore of the pattern I have. I may wind up buying more or some totally different and giving it an edging pattern just to make up for the waste factor if it is greater than the sq footage I have purchased.
Would like any suggestions on mixing/edging patterns also.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-12, 08:14 AM
As long as it is a plain vanilla installation (parallel/perpendicular to walls and runs wall to wall like that, 5% is probably adequate allowance.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-12-12, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
As to the mixing/edging.....

I did that in an entryway at my last house. I used 2 styles of Pergo in a walnut(?) color, but one of the patterns had 3 small "ebony" diamonds spaced equidistant the length of the plank. The overall wood pattern was a perfect match (verified with Pergo before I ordered) just the diamonds were different.

I was able to alternate rows starting with the solid, then diamond, solid ,etc. It worked out perfectly that I wound up with the solid on both outside edges with 3 or 4 rows of the alternating solid-diamond pattern between. I then used shoe moulding, stained to match the diamonds, against the oak stained baseboard.

It was a very rich look overall. Much better than the single color would have been, but not too busy as if I had used all the diamond pattern.

I probably could have also done the field in solid with the perimeter in the diamond, but I was very happy with my result.

Old 04-12-12, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
GG45, that sounds like it would have turned out pretty.

Old 04-12-12, 08:53 PM
5% if it is narrow.
7% if it is medium width 5-7" wide
10% if it is ultra-wide 10-12" wide

The bigger the layout you can back off the waste, too.

Old 04-13-12, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the additional input!! Mine is going to be wider so will be the 10% you speak of.
I am going to have to buy a little more.

As far as the laminate itself, do I have to buy the same brand for the joints to work?
Thanks

Old 04-13-12, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Yes..same brand/maker.... Test it first...there can be slight differences if it happens to be old stock.

Old 04-14-12, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with the waste factor percentages. Common sense approach....the wider the board the more per capita waste you will have if you booger one up. A 3" wide 4' long board is negligible considering a booger on a 6" wide board. Consider the board feet per plank that will be wasted if you miscut it.
Good luck finding the same click lock method as technologies change rapidly.

Old 04-28-12, 08:25 PM
Thanks Chandler, I have decided to make up for my waste factor by adding a ceramic landing in that room at the front door. I did not think I was going to be able to find the same "lock" as you mentioned.

Old 04-29-12, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A mud landing is an excellent idea!