Remodel entire room when do I refinish the hardwood floors?

Old 04-16-12, 09:03 AM
Remodel entire room when do I refinish the hardwood floors?

We are remodeling a family room at a lake cottage. Under the brown/gold shag carpet it hardwood floors - SCORE! There is paneling which will be removed, wainscoting that will go on the walls all trim will be replace or removed, sanded and painted. Ceiling will be repainted. We are going to tackle all of it ourselves. We have plenty of time to work on it and it's not a big deal to leave it partially finished for several weeks/a few months. It is the lake house and we do have to play after all!

Multiple questions (I can break them out to separate threads if more appropriate)

1.) Whitewash or No Stain just poly -right now everything is dark. Dark paneling, stained wood trim, dark shag carpet. It will be replaced with light walls, painted white wainscoting, light colored floor. Anyone have opinions on whitewashing oak floors? I want LIGHT-can ya tell? haha. One of the bedrooms has the floors but have not been finished. There is a wide variety of colors to the boards. Some are nearly white some are kind of dark. I would guess that will still show through whitewashing. Hubby's not a fan of the idea, but is open to think about it.

2.) What order? The bigger question is what order should I do these things in? If I refinish the floor first I hate to risk getting paint on the new floor. But if I paint first, I worry I'll neverl get rid of all the dust. At least I'll be removing everything that will collect dust.

3.) Drum sander or orbital? I'm not sure I'll have the choice of orbital, we are out in the boonies. We are new to refinishing floors. Orbital looks safer, though I'm not worried if we have the occasional furrow from a drum sander. DIY is cheaper and gives a little pride in the project. Plus this is a cottage not a primary residence. Perfect isn't necessary (and might look out of place!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#1 - Personally, I've never been a fan of whitewash or pickle finishes. The colors of any stain will be affected by the coloring in the wood. You don't have to use a stain, it's perfectly fine to just use poly for a natural finish. I like the way oil base poly deepens the colors naturally in the wood but if you want to keep it light - water base poly does very little to change the look of the wood other than give a it a sheen.

#2 - it doesn't matter a whole lot. If you do the floor first you need to do a good job of covering up during the painting. Usually the ceiling gets done first, then the walls with the floor last.

#3 - drum sanders are the quickest but can damage the flooring if used by someone without much experience. A floor buffer [w/sanding pad] usually works best for diyers. You'd also need an edger to get close to the wall and in tight areas.

Making the ceiling and walls light colored will do a lot to brighten up the room so a darker floor may not have much affect on making the room look dark. Even the sheen on the wood [reflects light] helps some.

Old 04-18-12, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the input. I may give up on the whitewash. I tried a small spot in the closet and noticed some of the white was turning yellow almost right away. It didn't really look that good. Plus I put it on so thick that it almost looked like paint.
If I use the buffer with sanding pads do you think I'll actually get the old finish off sufficiently? I'm not worried about some furrows, but I don't want it to look too bad.

Old 04-18-12, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sanding with a buffer takes longer but it's more forgiving than a drum sander.