Subfloor question (particle board over normal plywood)

Old 04-22-12, 06:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Subfloor question (particle board over normal plywood)

I have a home with a mixture of carpet and and thin vinyl floor finishings. The entire subfloor is normal 3/4 plywood. However, the areas that have the thin vinyl have what appears to be 7/16 particleboard to match the height of the carpet areas. Is it acceptable to finish leveling out the rest of the floor with something 7/16 thick so I can put wood down over the entire area? Or do I need to eliminate the particle board? If it needs to come up I hope its not held with construction adhesive! Thanks a bunch folks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-12, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Check to make sure of the material. I certainly hope it isn't "particle board", but rather OSB. If it is OSB, then it is fine for your application. Particle board is basically compressed sawdust, while OSB is, well, Oriented Strand Board. Let us know which you have. Pictures wouldn't hurt, if you aren't sure. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-23-12, 04:49 AM
J
Its the crummy particle board.

I peeled back some of the vinyl and its particle board unfortunately. The cookie cutter builders always go as cheap as possible of course. I was hoping if I couldnt easily remove it, I could seal it with something and use a good underlayment for moisture protection if that would be aceptable. If it has to come up Ill have to try to pry it up and pray for no adhesive .

Old 04-23-12, 02:25 PM
If your plans call for hardwood floor, the particle board has to go. On the bright side, if it goes up under cabinets, etc. it will snap apart if you lift on it, then clean the edge up so you can put down proper material.

Old 04-23-12, 05:52 PM
J
Ok man thats what Ill do. It does go under the cabinets so thats good news. Thanks a lot for you input.

Jesse Chandler

Old 04-27-12, 10:40 AM
J
For other areas of the house I would like to put tile down. The floors have this same plywood with 7/16 particle board over it. Is it acceptaplce to cover the particleboard with cement board and screw through PB into plywood and then lay tile? Or will it have to be removed in this instance also? Thanks.

Old 04-27-12, 12:58 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Has to go.

Particle board is just no good.

Old 04-27-12, 01:23 PM
If you ever have a minor water problem, the particle board will swell up like a sponge and break your tile and become pithy. The inventor is right up there with the person who invented PVC plumbing cut off valves