Subfloor Over Concrete

Old 04-28-12, 02:39 PM
Subfloor Over Concrete

Have a large room (kitchen/living room-18x30) that has carpet over concrete. Concrete is not in good shape, cracked, slightly higher at walls. Would like to put down T & G OSB (3/4") then Allure from Home Depot. Will OSB be OK over the concrete? House is around 40 years or so old. Any suggestions what's best here. My wife really wants the carpet out of the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
I suggest using Dricore or something like it. It creates an air gap and moisture barrier over the concrete. There is other similar products that is a roll that you put down, and then put separate OSB down, rather then the 2x2 squares.

Old 04-28-12, 04:02 PM
Because of age of concrete I don't think moisture would be a big problem. Due to outside door the most I could "build" up the concrete would be the 3/4" board. There is two layers of luan, pad, and carpet on it now, the door drags across that. Just looked at Dricore at HD. Maybe the way to go but very expensive however I don't think the 7/8" will be a problem. I don't know if the "rise" in the floor at the walls would be a problem with the 2x2 board vs: a 4/8 board. I know the concrete floor was "home-grown" and I believe there was alcohol involved at the time (no I'm the fourth owner of the house--I was no where near it then).