big box or local company

Old 05-12-12, 02:51 AM
big box or local company

I was wondering about opinions on who I should get to do our floors. I feel like a Big Box store ie, Orange or Blue would be least expensive, but would the quality of work be the same as if I were to use a carpet and flooring company. My choices are that one company does it all, the other does only one thing. Just searching for opinions and suggestions, Thanks, D

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-12, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Well, one of the issues with the big box stores is that people who do their installs don't actually work for them, they are simply subcontractors with the big box acting as agent and taking a cut of the profit. Opinions vary as to the quality of work done by these subcontractors vice an independent contractor and the potential savings or lack thereof. It also varies from store-to-store and by region/area, so it's tough to make a general call on the matter.

Moderator's note here: This thread has potential to turn into Big Box bashing; don't do it.

Old 05-12-12, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aaw, you take all the fun out of it Seriously, you should price the entire job from all your potential contractors. I have found larger stores will quote a really nice price to install flooring......then the add ons. Remove carpet, remove tack strips, remove molding, reinstall molding... on and on. Generally with independent contractors, the job is the job, and it will be considerably higher per square foot than is normally quoted at large stores.

Old 05-12-12, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would ask friends who installed for them and go from there. All of my work comes from word of mouth. When you have your installer, let them measure for you, then go shopping for material.

Search this Thread