Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing a laminate floor for 1st time.....Questions

MD

05-13-12, 06:54 PM   #1  
installing a laminate floor for 1st time.....Questions

I installing about 600 sqft next week end and have a few questions:

-i am on a tight budget, is there a big quality difference between 7ml, 8ml 9ml flooring?
-i planned on cutting with a table saw....i have a miter, but think the blade is too small to cut through in one pass.....which is better?
- what the best saw to use to rip the last row?
- how about cut outs...stairs columns, bump outs...will a jig saw work good?

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-14-12, 03:40 AM   #2  
Laminate is a fibrous board with a picture of wood on it. Go from there. Obviously the thicker the board, the better the quality and installation ease. I would not go with anything less than 9 or10mm, but that's just me. We did about 600 sf in a basement recently for a client with 10mm stuff and it didn't have the click-clack of normal thinner laminate. Use a good quality underlayment. We chose to use the red vb with white dots on it.
If you cross cut with a table saw, FIRST kiss your blade goodbye. Use your t-bar and don't use the fence. Using the fence on a cross cut will kick back on you. Table saw to do your ripping up to a close point of corners, then use the jig saw. If your cut calls for a narrow piece of rip, make sure the bulk of the cut is adjacent to the fence and cut off your small piece. It could save a little fingertips that way. Always use two push sticks....one from the back and one from the side to keep it running flush to the fence. Cut from the bottom when using the jig saw to prevent boogers on the surface. My jig saw has a rotational adjustment from 0-3 which allows for smooth cuts at 0 with rough/fast cuts at 3.

Search this Thread