Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing a laminate floor over a cocrete floor w a drain

MD

05-13-12, 07:36 PM   #1  
installing a laminate floor over a cocrete floor w a drain

i am reading that a laminate floor should not be installed on a floor (concrete) with a drain.

I just pulled my old floor out this weekend an discovered a drain. these was a musty smell when i pulled the old under-layment up but it was not wet.

i've lived in the house for 8 years i have not not had major musty smells or water problems from the basement.........i feel i should be OK to re-install new flooring over the drain (i really have no choice)

since this obviously is not the best situation, should i cover the dain with the vapor barrier or leave it open to breath and cut some king of access panel in the floor?

any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-14-12, 03:32 AM   #2  
The floor drain sits in an indentation in the concrete. IF you decide to cover it, and I am not sure my plumber friends would agree or disagree with it, you would need to cap it in a permanent way with a gasketed seal, then float out the indentation to where it is flat. Either that or bring the drain to the surface plane of the new flooring and reinstall the drain cover. Then float out the indentation to the drain. It would seem a little odd having a drain in a floor that will be destroyed by moisture and/or water.

Search this Thread