Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Varnish/poly for achieving rustic wood floors

CAL

05-14-12, 06:35 PM   #1  
Varnish/poly for achieving rustic wood floors

TLR Looking for tips and tricks on best finishes etc to achieve a natural rustic look for my wood floor.

This is my first post and I am new to the whole DIY scene so ill do my best to provide all the necessary info. I just purchased a home with wood floors throughout the entire house (fairly sure its pine) and without going into detail they clearly need to be sanded and refinished. My goal is to achieve a more natural type look where the appearance of varnish, poly or whatever I use is minimal (ill link pics of what I'm looking for below.) Iv done a good deal of research and think I have the sanding portion figured out. The area where I get in over my head is in the area of finishes. Iv done my best to research it but it seems like there are millions of varnishes/polys/shellacks/oilbased finishes/Swedish finishes... the list goes on. So far all I really have been able to figure out is that I most likely am looking for a flat or matte finish but would appreciate any suggestions of favorites that people have when attempting to get a more natural and less glossy/traditional poly look out of the wood. lastly Its worth mentioning that the boards are fairly small and
I'm not even really sure if the wood type/size of boards would lend itself to a more rustic look. Lastly I'd prefer to stay away from hand scraping though I have read tips on hammering/carefully damaging the floor and might try these unless people suggest against it. Thanks for taking the time.

pics of my floor and floors that have the finish I'm looking for below.

Current floor. 2973 Knoll Drive - Imgur

Example 1. http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/uploa...ndsculpted.jpg

Example 2. http://www.wholeloglumber.com/media/...tic_oak_lg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-15-12, 04:22 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

A satin poly might be your best bet. I have my doubts about achieving a rustic look like in the pics. Those were boards that were cut and never had the saw marks sanded and removed. While it might be possible to cut and gouge a small portion of the floor to look similar by the time you did the entire floor - IMO you'd just have an ugly mess. It is feasible to dent the floor with a hammer and beat it with a length of chain to make it look old.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

05-15-12, 02:05 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, when I looked at the floor I kinda got the feeling that I wouldn't be able to get a super rustic look out of them but the floor needs to be resanded and stained and I'm kinda just exploring what options I have once do the work to sand it. Were going for a relaxed look (beach/cabin weathered wood) and I hope to do as much as I can to improve the floor once I get it sanded down. I was a little concerned that the floor might not take well to the chains and hammering and when all is said and done ill have a floor that looks like some 27 year old DIY'er beat on it with a hammer and chain for 2 hours. As of now I'm leaning towards trying the process (hammer) in a closet and if it fails just leaving the floor as is and just re staining/polying it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-15-12, 03:22 PM   #4  
Personally, I'd just sand and refinish. Not everyone likes the rustic look and if you ever decide to sell.....

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

05-16-12, 10:48 AM   #5  
Thanks for the reply. I've gotta say that this occurred to me. Less because of resale and more because I'm unsure of my ability to get professional looking results doing any sort of distressing or damage to the floor with my limited DIY experience and would worry the floor would look bad and id end up needed to redo the floor for the entire house.

Search this Thread