Tile threshold on Hardwood Flooring?

Old 05-17-12, 02:39 PM
Tile threshold on Hardwood Flooring?

I just had my bathroom renovated wasn't very happy with the work and had them leave before finishing since I was unhappy with their workmanship. I have new tiles in the bathroom that are 5/8 of an inch above the old uneven hardwood floor, and that hardwood floor slopes down to being a 7/8 below the level tile floor. I wanted to install a 5in wide and 5/8 thick marble threshold. Its an older apartment and the floor is the next project on my list since some of the finish is coming off, so I am willing to sand some more of the wood down if necessary to level it out and avoid having to built the one side up so much. Now I had planned on putting down a thinset and setting and leveling with that but after reading post I have concerns about not giving the wood room for swelling. Im am looking for any ideas on my best way to set this threshold I know Im risking it eventually cracking but am willing to take the chance. I would appreciate any help or ideas with this thanks in advance for your time and help.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 02:44 PM
Just wanted to also clarify that I have the threshold and it is a hollywood bevel and I wanted the flat side to butt-up flush or just slightly above the gray tile. Thanks again

Old 05-19-12, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure how a 5" wide threshold will work, as it appears it will have to sit on the wooden floor and the movement of the wood may cause problems. Since you plan on working on the floor, could you not install a wooden threshold to compensate for the difference in height, having it sit on the subflooring material, then once your remodel is complete install the marble threshold having better control over the joint? You may be able to buy a threshold at one of the box stores, or make it yourself if you have proper tooling. If not, then take your specs to a tech school that has a carpenter's shop and see if they will help with the project. If you put marble down, now, you will need to add concrete backer underlayment on top of that subflooring as the gaps are destabilizing factors. Building it up to the level of the wood floor may give you the proper height for the tile, although it will be a trip factor on the wood side. Just something to consider.

Old 05-25-12, 04:44 PM
A custom milled(made) endcap, butted up to the tiles and tapering into a reducer to the wood.