Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Heartwood pine refinishing

GA

05-27-12, 06:56 PM   #1  
Heartwood pine refinishing

I am about to start restoring an old farmhose built in the 30s. It has heart pine floors, walls, and ceilings. The floors need to be sanded, but the walls and ceiling are in good shape but are very dark and mildewed in some places. What can I use to bring the color and grain out in the wood without sanding the whole place. Way to much labor and a fortune in sandpaper would be involved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-28-12, 04:27 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

If the current finish is good [not worn thru] you might get by with cleaning the floor, a light sanding and a fresh coat of poly.... otherwise you'll need to completely refinish which means sanding the entire floor down to raw wood. How thick is the wood? has it been refinished before?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

05-28-12, 12:28 PM   #3  
If cleaning the wood doesn't lighten it, I'd be breaking out the sandpaper.

GA

10-05-12, 09:09 AM   #4  
I am curious. What did you decide to do? I have a similar project and want to lighten the wood a bit.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-05-12, 09:12 AM   #5  
Welcome to the forums saturdayfarm!

The only way to lighten the wood is to strip it and start over But a shiny finish will reflect light better and can make the wood appear not as dark.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread