Hardwood floor patching with wall on top of floor

Old 06-01-12, 10:34 AM
Hardwood floor patching with wall on top of floor

Previous owners moved some walls around, put in tiny little pieces of hardwood and then carpeted. The new wall runs on top of the hardwood which runs into the next room.

Where the old wall was removed there is an entire run of 4.5 inch pieces patching the floor, and it is located about 2 inches from the wall. I would like to remove these and put in new flooring without having a line 2 inches away from the wall.

Is this possible? Is there a way I can put in the new boards in a way that they would go underneath the trim without removing that wall? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I uploaded some pictures of the problem area.

Thank you,
John

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-12, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You can remove the shoe molding if that helps or just leave the last short piece - it won't be all that noticeable if the rest are replaced. The bigger issue is getting them all to line up - it appears that the wood from the 2 previous rms aren't in a straight line. What the deal with the different colors of wood? will it all sand out and refinish ok?

Old 06-01-12, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the welcoming and your quick response.

Actually the wood will line up, but the patch they put in was not lined up. I am not sure about the different wood colors. When I bought the place it was carpeted and the entire place is over 100 years old so that could have been from quite some time ago. I am working on sanding now and I think it will clean up just fine.

You don't think that having a line run about 2 inches from the wall will stand out?

Thanks,
John

Old 06-01-12, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are replacing all the short pieces with hardwood of random lengths - a single short piece next to the wall shouldn't be too noticeable...... and after you fill the rm with furniture

Old 06-04-12, 11:08 AM
I think that the 2 inch line won't be a big deal either, but it turns out there is a tool out there that will do exactly this:

3-3/8" Blade Toe-Kick Saw #94626 - YouTube

Old 06-04-12, 01:03 PM
To make it look like the floor was "always there," you can stagger cuts in the existing flooring and install longer pieces. Look for a pattern of butt joints in the undisturbed parts of the room to see if those joints were lined up over the floor joists, and replicate and intent you discern in that work.

Ripping the bottom half of a groove off when you need to set a repair board into a 3-sided pocket will let you ease the new board in. You will also need to do what you can to match the dimension, the species and, if possible, the age of the new material to the flooring that will remain.

All repair work should be completed before starting to refinish, so that the finishing/refinishing is done on the finished floor and can be worked to blend. It's more work, but it's a better-looking result.