Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Underlayment options for engineered hardwood on wood subfloor to reduce sound

ID

06-05-12, 12:05 PM   #1  
Underlayment options for engineered hardwood on wood subfloor to reduce sound

I have a 1/2" engineered hardwood that I was going to have installed on a 3mm 3-in-1 underlayment, which would get me close to my existing adjacent floor height of 5/8". The existing engineered hardwood there is super noisy from underneath, so I also wanted to do everything I could to reduce sound.

But an installer I talked to instead recommended 15# or 30# roofing felt. My concerns are twofold:

1) Not sure the height will be close enough to the existing floor height, resulting in poor transitions and a gap under the kitchen cabinets, which were installed directly on top of the floor.

2) Not sure about the sound deadening capability of roof felt. Most underlayments provide IIC and STC specs for apples-to-apples comparison. Only info I can find on sound deadening qualities of roof felt is anecdotal.

Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-05-12, 03:06 PM   #2  
By all means use what the manufacturer suggests. It covers your warranty and will provide proper vb. Sound deadening?? I don't know how you will achieve that with engineered flooring, or with any hard surface for that matter, but I believe the proper underlayment will help.

ID

06-07-12, 08:39 AM   #3  
The product is coming from build direct so they naturally recommend their 3-in-1 product. But reading their website it was created for floating laminate floors yet this is a nail down hardwood application.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-07-12, 05:24 PM   #4  
1/2" engineered must be "staple" down with narrow crown stapler, is that correct? Most engineered flooring we install is click lock, so that precipitated my comment on the underlayment. If you are stapling it down, the 15 lb felt would be fine. Why worry about an expensive "vapor barrier" if you are going to put a kazillion holes in it??? Now, the floor will lay flat and it will feel firmer than it would on a cushy underlayment, so you are back to your sound deadening comment.

Search this Thread