What kind of floor is this?

Old 06-10-12, 06:32 PM
What kind of floor is this?

Hi,

I bought a house and the previous owner placed a hardwood floor in the living and dining room. I would like to add the same floor in the rest of the rooms, but I do not know what kind of floor this is (oak, birch, hickory.......)

Thank you for help.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-12, 07:21 PM
Difficult to tell from these pictures. Have you asked the previous owner? Are there any scraps of the flooring anywhere, possibly in the basement, attic or above the garage, that you could read the back of? Can you remove a small piece in an inconspicuous location, and read the back of that?

Or could you post some new pictures, taken with no flash and looking straight down on the wood, showing just a board or two, with the most distinctive and typical grain pattern?

If you're stumped for a way to read the back of the existing flooring, I'd suggest checking the pieces you'll need to remove when you install the new hearth.

Old 06-10-12, 07:36 PM
I will check on the back and make some better pictures.

Thank you

Old 06-11-12, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nash, why do they do that???? Did no one go to design school when the house was built? I have had to raise numerous fireplaces with an install like this, rework the fireblock and luckily had metal triple wall chimney to deal with. If it is a gas unit, it is possible the control panel is incorporated in the lower panel and a hearth can't be built.
OK, enough. More pix with grain showing will help. Off the wall, I'd say it is red oak, but pix will prove it.

Old 06-11-12, 05:08 AM
Nash, why do they do that???? Did no one go to design school when the house was built? I have had to raise numerous fireplaces with an install like this, rework the fireblock and luckily had metal triple wall chimney to deal with. If it is a gas unit, it is possible the control panel is incorporated in the lower panel and a hearth can't be built.
What? I don't understand.

Old 06-11-12, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your fireplace is sitting directly on your subflooring. You won't be able to get it out to do repairs or replacement. You don't have space for a hearth, which is required if the fireplace burns wood. Just a bad design, that's all. Like I said I have numerous clients that I have raised fireplaces for just so they can service, them and have a decent (12" high) sitting hearth.
We are not here to critique your fireplace, so don't get us wrong. We are in the construction business and see it all the time and know what is normal and what isn't. You may be very happy with the design and we shouldn't have butted in at all.
We were talking wood grain and type. Let us see some more direct pictures. We'll get you going..

Old 06-11-12, 02:44 PM
I see what you mean. Fireplace is gas, but is it difficult to replace it and make it higher and what costs do we talk about?

Old 06-11-12, 03:37 PM
Nash, why do they do that???? Did no one go to design school when the house was built?
Got me. You'd think common sense would lead them to set it at least at finished floor height.

Old 06-11-12, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure that is hardwood? The floor to the right of the hearth appears to be cupping. Looks more like laminate to me. Need better pictures to be sure.

Old 06-11-12, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't think the hearth would necessarily need to be raised. I've painted quite a few homes where they tiled the hearth and it was the approximate height of the flooring [carpet or hardwood]