HELP! Refinishing old oak floors

Old 06-15-12, 08:36 AM
HELP! Refinishing old oak floors

I recently pulled up all the carpets exposing old oak floors in a newly purchased home. There was a lot of paint and water damage on the floors, but I still wanted to attempt to refinish them. I sanded down to bare wood and applied a Minwax stain in a dark color. The floors looked great with just the stain on them...all of the water damage was undetectable. When I applied the polyurethane topcoat I noticed some apparent damage marks in the wood that I hadn't seen previously. It looks as though a substance was spilled on the floor (the shape is that of a definite "splash" mark). It was almost as if the polyurethane acted as a developer for invisible ink! How do I prevent this from happening in other rooms of the house?
I used Minwax stain and Rustoleum Pro-Finisher Polyurethane in a semi-gloss finish. I spoke with a representative at Rustoleum and he suggested trying a satin finish...something with less gloss. Any ideas if this will work?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-12, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

The stain just colors the floor and is kind of dull looking. When you add poly the shine will bring out defects that you might not have noticed before. Satin won't highlight the defects as bad as gloss will but the defects will still be there.

You might want to try a waterbased poly. When oil poly hits the wood it brings out the colors already in the wood, waterbased poly just gives it a sheen. Because of the way that oil reacts with the wood [and water based doesn't] the floors with waterbased poly may not come out as dark/deep as the one with oil base poly.

Old 06-15-12, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice!
The poly that I used was water based...but I will try a satin finish in the hopes that the defects will be less noticeable.
Thanks again for your response.

Old 06-15-12, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
I agree less sheen should make this less visible but don't know whether it will be enough difference for you without seeing what you have. Can you post some pictures?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-15-12, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The defects would likely have been more noticeable with oil base poly, satin water based may help some. Another thing that will help is putting your furniture back in the room. It's easy to spot defects in an empty room but once it's back in live in conditions, it may not be all the noticeable

Old 06-15-12, 12:17 PM
Thanks again...I'll try to post a picture this evening to better articulate the problem.

Old 06-15-12, 04:31 PM
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  37.2 KBName:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 3374
Size:  37.6 KB
The first picture is the large splash I was referencing. The second picture is a close-up of a smaller spot. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread