Habs11: Hardwood Over Linoleum

Old 06-15-12, 06:05 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Habs11: Hardwood Over Linoleum

Post separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/so...-linoleum.html

I have the same question - installing 3/4" hardwoods and already have linoleum down. Is the linoleum OK to use as moisture barrier? If "just OK" - is something else better?

I want this job perfect - one contractor says to leave linoleum down and it will be the moisture barrier... the other says you have to rip it up because the linoleum will not allow the wood to breath (the latter wants a rip out and to put down a new moisture barrier).

My home is onyl three years old - the the linoleum is on decent shape - there is NO lou-on (sry no idea how to spell that). We asked the builder to just glue the linoleum at seems because we wanted to rip it out for hardwoods (not knowing it could potentially be left).

There are a few really old threads on this question. I am adding to this one already started in hope of education myself and others as well. Madfinn's comment on the 60/40 split is why I am also perplexed.

So I am looiking for some additional opinions:

1) Can/Should linoleum be left and used as the vapor barrier?
2) I want the BEST job - not a satifactory job

In case it matters we (a contractor) will be installing Brazillian Koa/Tigerwood or Kempas

Last edited by ray2047; 06-15-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-12, 07:29 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, you can not install any hardwood over that stuff, you need to take the linoleum up then put asphalt or Rosen paper down because it is by far no means of vapor barrier it's just the opposit of that and will act agenst the hardwood.

Last edited by stickshift; 06-18-12 at 05:58 AM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: