Filling in holes/cracks before laying down the poly?

Old 06-18-12, 01:02 PM
Filling in holes/cracks before laying down the poly?

What point do you not worry about the small to larger holes and cracks in the floor? I realize that 3 coats of poly will cover allot of small cracks,imperfections and holes. Is there a rule of thumb when to use a wood filler(larger stuff) and/or 2 part epoxy base to take care of the larger imperfections. Or should I not worry about the small stuff?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-12, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What are you talking about fixing???? Hardwood, planks. What type floor. Got pictures??http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-18-12, 08:34 PM
Sorry YES!! White Oak two inch Flooring. Figured 3 coats of poly would of made it understood! I lifted an old rug and the small nail holes & staple marks cleaned up ok with the sanding. However the stairs and a few spots have some serious chips a few nail holes are big. so wondering if any body bothers to fill the holes.
thx

Old 06-19-12, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, we don't "understand" anything for fear of giving false or misleading information. The more info we glean from you the better our answers are. The epoxy products are like a rock when they are dry and sanded, but may not accept stain as readily as some of the regular wood filler would. I use a stiff flat tool (really a gasket scraper) and force the wood filler in the holes and cracks. Not sure how "large" your larger boogers are, but you may try the same on them. Sanding and staining brings it all together.

Search this Thread