Staining with Polyurethane

Old 06-20-12, 10:21 AM
Staining with Polyurethane

Hi there,
I have just finished sanding my floors with a square Orbital Sander. They look great but there are some spots along the walls that the previous stain would just not come off. They are not large but there are some darker spots. my question is if I leave these and stain with oil base polyurethane will it matter?
The floors were a honey colour before staining and I plan on just staining with the poly because I like the light colour. I am also not afraid of a few darker boards but do not want it to look really ridiculous around the edges. This is not a ring around the edges like previous posts but just a few darker spots that didnt want to be sanded.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-12, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
The higher the sheen of your poly, the more noticeable the spots will be so you may want to stick with a satin finish. That said, furniture tends to hide a lot of this kind of stuff as well.

Old 06-20-12, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
I'd recommend you sand the edges with a small handheld orbital sander and try and get as close to the edges as you can. Applying additional baseshoe trim is always an option if you need to hide any unsightly gaps or color changes.

Old 06-21-12, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes a sharp scraper works well where it's difficult to sand [it would still need sanding after scraping] Wiping the wood down with mineral spirits will give you an idea how the poly will look [before the spirits evaporate]

I assume you mean applying clear poly - tinted poly isn't recommended for floor use.