how to repair big gash in kitchen floor, can see wood, **PICS**

Old 06-25-12, 12:19 PM
how to repair big gash in kitchen floor, can see wood, **PICS**

I was cleaning my kitchen floor, and moved the fridge out of the way. Problem is we have our microwave on it with a short cord. Microwave fell and left a big gash in the kitchen floor of our rental apartment. I was wondering what our options would be for repair.

There are 3 pics here (just click 'next' to see others)
imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.

joe

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-12, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like laminate. I can't think of a way to repair this, I would call the landlord and see what s/he has to say about it.

Old 06-25-12, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
I'd probably use some sort of wood putty and stain to at least help it go away visually. Practice first to see how the color looks.

Old 06-25-12, 01:48 PM
I don't suppose there's any way to get a replacement tile? Or would a professional be able to fix/replace it?

Old 06-25-12, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
It's highly unlikely you would be able to find a replacement. Even if you did, due to traffic and normal wear, the new one would not match unless this was very recently installed.

If they have any leftover material....yes...a professional might be able to remove the old one and repair it, depending on how it's installed. If it's edge glued together and a floating install they would have to cut that plank out and glue down a new one. If it's a click lock style floating floor...they might be able to remove all of it and replace the plank with one from a different area (under the fridge, range or dishwasher for instance).

They might also be able to patch the damage in a method similar to what I described.

No matter what they do...it will never be perfect.