Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to repair big gash in kitchen floor, can see wood, **PICS**

NY

06-25-12, 12:19 PM   #1  
how to repair big gash in kitchen floor, can see wood, **PICS**

I was cleaning my kitchen floor, and moved the fridge out of the way. Problem is we have our microwave on it with a short cord. Microwave fell and left a big gash in the kitchen floor of our rental apartment. I was wondering what our options would be for repair.

There are 3 pics here (just click 'next' to see others)
imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.

joe

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

06-25-12, 12:27 PM   #2  
Looks like laminate. I can't think of a way to repair this, I would call the landlord and see what s/he has to say about it.

Super Moderator

AZ

06-25-12, 12:55 PM   #3  
I'd probably use some sort of wood putty and stain to at least help it go away visually. Practice first to see how the color looks.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NY

06-25-12, 01:48 PM   #4  
I don't suppose there's any way to get a replacement tile? Or would a professional be able to fix/replace it?

Super Moderator

AZ

06-25-12, 02:14 PM   #5  
It's highly unlikely you would be able to find a replacement. Even if you did, due to traffic and normal wear, the new one would not match unless this was very recently installed.

If they have any leftover material....yes...a professional might be able to remove the old one and repair it, depending on how it's installed. If it's edge glued together and a floating install they would have to cut that plank out and glue down a new one. If it's a click lock style floating floor...they might be able to remove all of it and replace the plank with one from a different area (under the fridge, range or dishwasher for instance).

They might also be able to patch the damage in a method similar to what I described.

No matter what they do...it will never be perfect.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread