Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I recondition these wooden stairs?

Non-US

06-25-12, 11:31 PM   #1  
Can I recondition these wooden stairs?

Name:  20120626_141521.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  29.0 KBName:  20120626_141513.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  27.5 KBName:  20120626_141508.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  38.6 KB

I have these stairs at my rented studio, they are very old.. I want to recondition them and was hoping to be able to just sand it back and brush on a coat of oil..

Just wondering would the sanding process take a long time, or does it even need sanding?? if anyone can tell me what I should do to reinvigorate these poor old stairs that would be most appreciated.. I dont want to spend too much time, maybe just a few hours. I was hoping a quick sand and coat would do the trick..

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-26-12, 03:24 AM   #2  
The stairs treads and risers appear to be pine, so they are soft wood and very sandable. I would use a triangular type random orbit sander to remove all the stuff, then restain and poly all the surfaces. Our paint guy will be a long shortly with probably better advice, so hang in there. Word of caution, if you are worried about time, and it appears you are as impatient as my wife, this project will make you crazy. You will need to wait for drying time for all your stuff, so it won't be quick.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-26-12, 04:35 AM   #3  
Ya, lots of sanding to start with Sometimes a sharp scraper will work good along the edge and corners if the sander won't get close enough. Scrape with the direction of the grain or you'll have a time trying to sand out the scrape marks

Is this the only set of stairs? if it is, I'd suggest using a waterbased poly - it will dry quicker than oil base.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

06-26-12, 05:37 AM   #4  
You say rented - you mean you're renting? If so, you need to talk to the landlord first.

Search this Thread