Room addition - Flooring discontinued - now what?

Old 06-26-12, 02:52 PM
Question Room addition - Flooring discontinued - now what?

Need some advice. Our Pergo that we have in the rest of the house is now discontinued. We are finishing a 600 sq ft addition to the home that will be accessed through French Doors from the living room (with the Pergo). We do have the ability to get our hands on about 1/3 of the old flooring we would need. The idea had been to finish the room with the same flooring to create a seamless flow when the doors were opened.

Would you:
A) find the closest match and go with it.
B) Go with the closest match, but separate them by about a foot with a tile entry.
C) go with a totally different wood
D) Tile the new room completely
E) Use a lighter wood in new room, with a decorative border of the older, darker wood to tie them in.

So conflicted! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-12, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!! Others will chime in with good advice, so hang in there. What will the room be used for? Can you post a picture of the entry so we can see what options you may have? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
I have done it every way you mentioned, with exception of the tile entry. I really am intrigued by option E, so tell us what type flooring it is. I know Pergo, but is it click lock, laminate, engineered, full 3/4 staple down (not sure if Pergo makes that or not).

Old 06-26-12, 08:16 PM
Thanks! It will basically be a den/game room with a couch, table for playing games, etc. I will take a picture tonight, but basically we have an open floor plan. To the right of our fireplace is now a double French door which opens into the new room (formerly the patio). The new room is a rectangle - 18'x33'.

The entire house (except bathrooms) is done with the Pergo Prestige - Potomac Hickory glueless click joint laminate from Home Depot. It is a fairly dark browish red.

I like the idea of doing the border with the old darker wood and the rest of the room with a lighter wood. The only thing that concerns me is wondering if it will make the new room look "added on". We have gone to great costs with redesigning the roof line, closing in windows, etc., to make the new room look like part of the original design. However, it will be too expensive to redo the flooring in the whole house just to get it to completely match.

Old 06-27-12, 03:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We'll appreciate the pix. Since it is laminate, you won't be able to do the border as you planned due to the construction features of the laminate itself. No way to get it to click lock to itself perfectly. Bummer. Since it is on a slab, and will probably get some punishment, I would look into 12x12 ceramic tile. You can always throw down some rugs for comfort feature. That way you don't have to worry about color matching. In addition, you may tire of so much of the "same ol stuff" throughout. A little change of pace may enhance the room's attraction.