Laminate flooring & in floor electric heating.

Old 06-28-12, 12:29 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring & in floor electric heating.

Greetings fellow DIYers.

An unusual situation for you so please bear with me. I'm a USC living in Ukraine (thus the expat username) and I'm doing some reno in my apartment (condo really). There are no worries as to the legalities so I'm good there. I am able to get around pretty well, but still don't speak enough Russian for true clarity in things like this. I bring a typewritten and translated note with me for buys and have pretty good luck, but I got stumped this week.

The situation:

I have prepared a cement floor and am ready to roll out the electric heating mat. I'm having trouble finding info on whether or not I need a pad of some kind between the laminate and heat mat.

The info I do have says the heat mat is fine over plywood sub-flooring so it's ok for laminate floors too in fact the box says so. It just doesn't say anything about the padding we usually lay down under the laminate.

Does anyone know?

Most of the DIY vids I have seen progress on to laying tile so thin set is the next step. I've seen some vids saying laminate is fine, but now I can't find anything (of course). I just don't want to get it all done then find out I missed a step because of language issues here.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 05:16 PM
I
Well I would never recomend putting a heating mat under laminate, and here is why: most vapor barroirs have plastic in them at some point and even low voltage heat lines can cause issues. 2nd laminate needs to expand and contract that's why it's a floating floor, so if it gets to warm it will expand past the spacing perimitaer 1/4" that laminate requires and start buckling up on you so other words laminate needs natural weather inside the home to work.

If the heat lines are inside the concrete the only option I would say is to put asphalt paper as your vapor barroir but you may still have issues so it's a risk.

Or go with tile.

Old 06-30-12, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I fail to see where laminate can be made to lay flat on top of radiant heating without embedding the elements in SLC or another medium. That, plus the heat factor against the MDF>

Old 07-02-12, 07:12 PM
You place the heating pad over the undercusion.

Warmtouch® Radiant in Wood Floor Heating Mats are made of 3/32" and 5/64" thick PA cable jacketing, white textile and an aluminum foil backing for efficient heat conduction and long lasting durability. Designed for dry installation under floating laminate and engineered wood floors. Use of mortar or self-leveling cement not required. Ideal for renovation and new construction. Completely maintenance free and provides practical and safe solution to warm wood floors. Place directly over closed cell polyethylene padding. Incorporates reflective foil backing to conduct the heat and improve heat distribution throughout covered area. Color is Silver. Coverage areas vary from 15' to 75'. Available in a variety of sizes. Wattage is 10/SqFt. Voltage is 120. Under Carpet Heating Mats are also available.