Laminate flooring - cutting to fit in odd-angled areas

Old 07-05-12, 10:03 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring - cutting to fit in odd-angled areas

Hello, first time poster here. I am installing the cheap Ikea flooring into my entry way this weekend. I did the same for my kitchen last weekend. It was fairly easy once I got the hang of it, but I quickly discovered that most corners are not exactly ninety degrees!
So often times when I expected the board to just line up neatly against a wall, there would be a snug fit on one end of the board, and about a half inch space on the other.
Is there a trick to mark off the exact line to cut to fit into those spaces? I'm hoping there's a method that would solve this problem as well as other odd (non-90 degree) angles.
When I worked on the kitchen, I kind of did a trial and error method with the circular saw. Lots of errors and waste unfortunately.
I think I saw on TV once where the guy flipped over a board, moved it along the wall and the space he needed to fill, marked it off and made a perfect cut. I'd love it if there was something like this that I could do.
Or do I just need to measure the angle and mark it off like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-12, 10:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Lay the board you're going to cut exactly on top of the installed one it will be next to and then slide another one on top of that up against the wall. Draw a line on the middle board where the edge of the top one is and cut there.

Old 07-05-12, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You are leaving expansion space between the wall and the laminate, right? Uh-oh. If not it will buckle up in the change of seasons, humidity, etc. You leave at least 1/4" and install shoe molding around the existing wall/molding.

Old 07-05-12, 01:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts

Thanks, Chandler - I totally spaced on the expansion gap.

Old 07-05-12, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Got your back, Pilgrim!!....