Laminate over Concrete with Sleepers

Old 07-10-12, 10:05 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate over Concrete with Sleepers

Opinions please - our living room has Bruce Park Avenue laminate - attached over concrete slab with a underlayment/moisture barrier.

Our new addition that will connect to this room was 3 inches lower so to get the same floor height we installed as follows:

Concrete Slab
6 mil moisture barrier
2 x 4 Pressure treated sleepers - laid on sides - nailed to concrete
Advantech plywood flooring - screwed and glued to the sleepers.

Now we plan to install the same floating laminate flooring on top. But the laminate mfg requires an additional foam underlayment with a built in moisture/vapor barrier.
My concern is that by having the Adventech/Sleepers sandwiched between two moisture barriers with no ventilation - we will have problems.

1. - do you think it will be okay?
2. - should we find a foam underlayment without a moisture barrier so the subfloor can breath?

Bruce actaully states not to install laminate over concrete with sleepers - but they won't give me a straight answer as to why not or any suggestions. As the rooms connect and we want the floors to match we really don't have a better choice.

Thanks

Old 07-10-12, 10:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
First, be ready for your warranty to be void since you installed this in a manner the expressly forbidden by them.

Second, in my opinion, two moisture barriers would be a bad idea, trapping moisture between them. I would look for a foam underlayment without a moisture barrier.

Old 07-10-12, 11:02 AM
L
Mitch - thanks for your post. Understood about the warranty - it's a floor so I'm not too concerned. It's going to get worn through normal use.

But of course knowing I don't have a warranty at all I want to be as sure as I can that I have installed it as correctly as possible The sub-floor is beautiful - flat and installed perfectly. No squeaks! I'd hate to ruin it by doing something as simple as installing a thin layer of plastic.

I appreciate your opinion about the foam - I think that's the way I am leaning.

Old 07-10-12, 04:46 PM
I
There are only a few laminates that will warrenty over a slab or even below grade. Your meathod of rasing the floor with sleepers Is a good idea even though the sleepers are PT your putting advantech over the sleepers so it shouldn't bother the laminate. But don't vapoir barrier between the 2.

Old 07-11-12, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would not have used the vb under the sleepers. What you have is a vb with a kazillion holes in it. Now, think....is it really a vb??? I would have opted for the vb underlayment on top of the Advantech. I like to use the red with white dot underlayment, but to each his own.

Old 07-11-12, 05:29 AM
L
Isola - thanks for your endorsement of no plastic.

Chander - your comment appears to be a common one in the "sleeper" construction world. Ultimately the argument is that this is a really more of a vapor barrier - not a true moisture barrier. If I have enough water coming up through the nail holes under the sleepers then I have bigger issues!

I think I've decided to go with foam underlayment with no plastic - let me know if anyone has any recommended brands. Bruce don't seem to sell one.

Old 07-11-12, 11:53 AM
I
Quietwalk underlayment from Lumber Liquidators.

Dream Home - Quiet Walk Underlayment :Lumber Liquidators

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: