Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laminate over Concrete with Sleepers

TN

07-10-12, 10:05 AM   #1  
Laminate over Concrete with Sleepers

Opinions please - our living room has Bruce Park Avenue laminate - attached over concrete slab with a underlayment/moisture barrier.

Our new addition that will connect to this room was 3 inches lower so to get the same floor height we installed as follows:

Concrete Slab
6 mil moisture barrier
2 x 4 Pressure treated sleepers - laid on sides - nailed to concrete
Advantech plywood flooring - screwed and glued to the sleepers.

Now we plan to install the same floating laminate flooring on top. But the laminate mfg requires an additional foam underlayment with a built in moisture/vapor barrier.
My concern is that by having the Adventech/Sleepers sandwiched between two moisture barriers with no ventilation - we will have problems.

1. - do you think it will be okay?
2. - should we find a foam underlayment without a moisture barrier so the subfloor can breath?

Bruce actaully states not to install laminate over concrete with sleepers - but they won't give me a straight answer as to why not or any suggestions. As the rooms connect and we want the floors to match we really don't have a better choice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-10-12, 10:09 AM   #2  
First, be ready for your warranty to be void since you installed this in a manner the expressly forbidden by them.

Second, in my opinion, two moisture barriers would be a bad idea, trapping moisture between them. I would look for a foam underlayment without a moisture barrier.

TN

07-10-12, 11:02 AM   #3  
Mitch - thanks for your post. Understood about the warranty - it's a floor so I'm not too concerned. It's going to get worn through normal use.

But of course knowing I don't have a warranty at all I want to be as sure as I can that I have installed it as correctly as possible The sub-floor is beautiful - flat and installed perfectly. No squeaks! I'd hate to ruin it by doing something as simple as installing a thin layer of plastic.

I appreciate your opinion about the foam - I think that's the way I am leaning.

NY

07-10-12, 04:46 PM   #4  
There are only a few laminates that will warrenty over a slab or even below grade. Your meathod of rasing the floor with sleepers Is a good idea even though the sleepers are PT your putting advantech over the sleepers so it shouldn't bother the laminate. But don't vapoir barrier between the 2.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-11-12, 03:26 AM   #5  
I would not have used the vb under the sleepers. What you have is a vb with a kazillion holes in it. Now, think....is it really a vb??? I would have opted for the vb underlayment on top of the Advantech. I like to use the red with white dot underlayment, but to each his own.

TN

07-11-12, 05:29 AM   #6  
Isola - thanks for your endorsement of no plastic.

Chander - your comment appears to be a common one in the "sleeper" construction world. Ultimately the argument is that this is a really more of a vapor barrier - not a true moisture barrier. If I have enough water coming up through the nail holes under the sleepers then I have bigger issues!

I think I've decided to go with foam underlayment with no plastic - let me know if anyone has any recommended brands. Bruce don't seem to sell one.

NY

07-11-12, 11:53 AM   #7  
Quietwalk underlayment from Lumber Liquidators.

Dream Home - Quiet Walk Underlayment :Lumber Liquidators

Search this Thread