Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Does a wood floor need to be perpendicular to the joists?

IN

07-19-12, 07:37 PM   #1  
Does a wood floor need to be perpendicular to the joists?

I thought I read somewhere that hardwood flooring should be laid perpendicular to the floor joists. My issue is this: we had wood put in a small (8x8) foyer adjacent (via a 6 foot opening) to the living room many years ago. The planks were laid parallel to the joists. Now we want to do the living room. I want it installed correctly but if the boards should be perpendicular to the joists, then they will also be perpendicular to the existing floor. I think that will look a little odd.

Comments/suggestions?

Sponsored Links

NY

07-19-12, 09:01 PM   #2  
What kind of wood is in the foyer? I have definetly seen wood floors go in different directions in different rooms. There is actually some benefit to that.(more on that some other time )The reason perpendicular joists are preferred is you can dig the nail/staple in farther. If you have a good thick subfloor, it shouldn't matter. What kind of subfloor do you have and how thick is it? I would probably leave the foyer alone. If you have a thick subfloor, I would lay the wood it the directon it looks best, which it the usually the long way in a room.

NY

07-20-12, 06:07 PM   #3  
If your subfloor consists of 3/4" or 5/8" you can run your hardwood anyway you would like.

IN

07-21-12, 04:47 PM   #4  
Not really sure how thick the subfloor is. The house was built in 1970 if that helps. The wood in the foyer is 2 1/4" oak which is what we are looking at for the LR. The LR is 13x20 and the long dimension is perpendicular to the joists and the foyer floor.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-21-12, 06:11 PM   #5  
Since you are adding to an already existing floor (foyer) it will be much easier to change directions rather than to try and blend it in, as it will never happen.

Search this Thread