Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hardwood butting up to carpet and door jambs

CAL

07-24-12, 02:56 PM   #1  
hardwood butting up to carpet and door jambs

So i got the assumed answer to the hardwood or carpet question but my next one is:
do i install the door jambs (frames) before the flooring or vica-versa? also, i know the jamb needs to be under-cut for the hardwood to slide under but what about the carpet? do i just undercut the entire jamb the same height off the slab and have the carpet guy slide the carpet under?

any help would be great.
thanks,
justin

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-24-12, 02:59 PM   #2  
Casing and baseboard is usually left about 1/2" off of the floor for the carpet to be tucked under.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

07-25-12, 07:22 AM   #3  
Yep, the door casing goes in first but doesn't go all the way to the ground. Regardless of the floor covering, you don't put wood or drywall all the way to the floor level to keep it from sitting in any moisture which might end up there.

CAL

07-25-12, 12:35 PM   #4  
i was planning on doing door frames first but didn't know how high they typically sit for carpet- meaning if the carpet goes under them or not. i know to under cut for the wood floor, we have 5/8" but i wasn't sure if the entire frame would be 5/8" off the floor for the carpet too or it i install the frame and then just notice out the side for the hardwood.

Forum Topic Moderator

MO

07-26-12, 08:19 AM   #5  
Carpet does NOT usually go under door frames. I have installed for 40 years and it's rare to see a door frame raised for carpet.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-26-12, 09:22 AM   #6  
I think we got mixed up on terminology

The jamb usually sets flat on the floor with allowances for uneven floor if needed.
The casing and base normally get raised for the carpet to be tucked under.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

07-27-12, 02:54 PM   #7  
ok, so you are saying that i will butting the hardwood and carpet up to the jamb. then ONLY the the base board and casing are raised on top of the hardwood and carpet....i thought i had read that people where undercutting the jamb to sit on top of the hardwood too....that is where i was/am confused.

Search this Thread