beat hardwood: refinish or replace?

Old 08-21-12, 02:28 PM
Question beat hardwood: refinish or replace?

I just purchased a foreclosure and when I pulled up the carpets there are a number of problems with the douglas fir that was installed 100+ years ago. I see great potential but at the same time great failure. There's a big pee corner for cats, a few dry rot spots, a few spots of plywood that would need to be patched, lots of screws in a few areas, a few areas where the flooring does not meet up with the wall and some breaking boards from a settling house (will have to be fixed before anything can be done with the floors).

I like the distressed, old look of what the floors COULD be with the nail heads and a few screws left behind with a nice sanding, stain and sealer. However, I'm worried that when I go to sell it in a few years (or whenever) future buyers would rather see a NEW floor or it would be valued higher with a NEW floor.

What's better for resale?

TL;DR, Am I better off refinishing questionable but old floors or biting the bullet (and extra expense) of having beautiful new floors installed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-12, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It seems the problems with the existing floors far outweigh the logical solution of replacing it all with nice, new flooring. You don't have to get shiny oak. I just finished a house with 1300 sf of 5 1/2" handscraped maple. Laid like a dream and looked fantastic. It was in a log home, so they wanted a rustic look. Cheap? Not. Good looking, Yep.

Old 08-21-12, 05:00 PM
Although 100 year old Douglas fir will be next to impossible to drive nails through it is still considered a softwood. Softwood floors do NOT wear well. I strongly suggest not wasting time and money trying to refinish this floor.

Old 08-21-12, 05:08 PM
Any thoughts on the colorado beetle kill pine trees? I live in colorado, I like the idea of the wood coming from colorado, not paying state tax on it and it has the unique blue fungus. Yes it is a softwood but i'm not too concerned with wear as I can provide a solid durable finish with major wear spots wearing runners or area rugs.

Old 08-21-12, 05:21 PM
Do you have a picture? I like the idea of those wide boards!

Old 08-21-12, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is somewhat of a dark picture, but it will give you an idea of what it looks like.

Attachment 2793

Old 08-21-12, 06:09 PM
Softwood floors were almost always covered by rugs or carpets, maybe leaving a foot or so of a border. I would never refinish a softwood floor but instead use an engineered hardwood floor over it.

Old 08-24-12, 08:03 AM
That looks great! Thanks for sharing.

I'm debating between locally sourced beetle kill pine and engineered flooring. Will decide once I have my estimates from suppliers.

Old 08-24-12, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
I would never install a pine floor, it's just way too soft. Hence, I would be going with the engineered in your situation.

Just my 2