How to install hardwood with existing mirrored closet doors?

Old 08-25-12, 09:44 AM
How to install hardwood with existing mirrored closet doors?

My dilemma is this: I have existing sliding mirrored closet doors which are in good condition and would be very expensive to replace. These are suspended from an upper track, and have a lower track fastened to the floor to prevent them from swinging. I wish to install hardwood to replace broadloom. This would raise the floor height by close to 3/4". I think the vertical adjustment on the closet doors is no more than 1/4". The only solution I can think of is to remove the doors and tracks, cut away the drywall above the upper track, and refasten the track directly to the ceiling joists. This would give me at least a 1/2" height adjustment. There is a valence which would hide the recessed upper track. Does anyone have a better idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 12:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the bottom track is fastened to the subflooring or concrete, leave it there and floor up to it on both sides, from the room and from the closet sides.

Old 08-25-12, 01:12 PM
Chandler has the easyer way. But if you don't want the bottom to look like that and to run under the doors your way would be the only way, I would cut the header out with sawzall a few inches put 1x4 pine peice to level the top re attach track and door trim should cover the section you took out.

Old 08-25-12, 07:48 PM
Thanks Chandler. I thought of flooring up to the track on both sides, but it would not look right even if I bevelled the hardwood and it would be a dirt trap.

Old 08-26-12, 03:16 AM
My method may not work, but another question, please. If you are replacing carpeting, the height difference won't be 3/4" unless the track is sitting on the floor and the carpet terminated against it, right? I don't understand how hardwood terminating at the track would trap dirt any more than carpeting. Run a piece of hardwood parallel to the track which will bring the hardwood flush to the edge of the track for it's full run, trimming both ends of the hardwood. Then run your hardwood into the tongue of the wood strip as you lay it, assuming the hardwood is running perpendicular to the track. It will resemble a "breadboard" finish.
If you aren't against raising the entire doorway and trim, then that would be a good way to go, too. Just a little more work, but it will allow your floor to flow from room to closet.

Old 08-26-12, 08:58 AM
The difference won't be as much as I had thought. I just pulled up the carpet and underlay on one side and, though the hardwood will still have to be bevelled to slope down to the track, it should be quite acceptable looking.
Thanks.

Old 08-26-12, 10:05 AM
Cool. Let us know how it goes. Even a pix would make us feel warm and fuzzy. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread