apartment flooring

Old 08-27-12, 04:32 PM
apartment flooring

i just purchased a two family home and am looking for some durable, cheep and decent looking flooring for the rental units. the units are dry and currently contain plank flooring. i see lots of [SIZE=2]engineered[/SIZE] flooring for around a $1 a square but not sure how good it is. thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Engineered flooring in the right quality can wear for a good long time, and is fairly easy to install. The better 5/8" thick click lock doesn't give that "laminate" feel. You know....clacky. It ain't gonna be had for no single dollar, though. I think what you were seeing was laminate for that price. You get what you pay for, and will pay for the cheap stuff twice or three times, so do the math. Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

Old 08-28-12, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
We use ceramic tiles and carpet in our units. The tiles have excellent durability and we use heavy carpet which has given us good durability as well. I know some landlords who use cheap carpet and then replace it between tenants but ours holds up well with just a professional cleaning between tenants.

Personally, unless it was high end living space (and duplexes typically are not) I would not install wood of any kind in a rental.

Old 08-28-12, 02:05 PM
The only flooring you can get in that price rang in laminate 7mm grade. I would spend the extra $$ and do a 10 or 12mm grade laminate, it won't feel fake and will last longer.