Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Locking Alternative (glue, brad nails, etc.) for Kahrs Laminate Flooring "Issue"

Locking Alternative (glue, brad nails, etc.) for Kahrs Laminate Flooring "Issue"

Old 08-28-12, 03:21 PM
Angry Locking Alternative (glue, brad nails, etc.) for Kahrs Laminate Flooring "Issue"

Hello and thank you everyone for all of your help over the years. I have a situation where I have Kahrs 2-Strip Linnea Walnut Laminate flooring installed on my main level with the exception of my living room. Three kids later my wife and I have regretted not installing the flooring in the living room cause the carpet is now a disaster. Uggg. The living room area is approximately 16 ft x 18 ft. The living room is not a separate room but an extension of our kitchen/eating area but of course the carpet (living room) and wood (eating area/kitchen) are separated by a reducer. I spoke with the Kahrs U.S. office and they can I can get more but it would have to be shipped from Sweden. Ugg, expensive. I spoke with multiple local retailers and it would indeed have to be ordered but at a hefty price and I'm getting quotes now. I need about 5 boxes so it's not in the budget.

That said, between some spare planks I had and my neighbor getting new flooring (his old stuff matched mine) I technically have enough to finish my living room but the catch is that I only have about 75% of the flooring with all four corners of the "locking" part fully in tact. That's because I have enough full pieces for about 50% of the floor and the other 25% needed the end piece is cut on the correct end so I can start the floor where the eating area/kitchen end and will use a T-Molding to do the separation between "rooms". The final 25% I technically have enough of but the "locking" part is cut on the wrong end or both ends have been cut. Width wise, I'm good. I can lock the pieces, just the ends I cannot.

Question/Resolution: For a floating laminate floor like mine, can I use 3/8 inch wood under lament instead of the usual "squishy" under lament and glue/brad nail the flooring on? Just glue (Liquid nails)? Just brad nail?

I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

Pat
Chaska, MN

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-12, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't want to bust your bubble, but short answer, laminate is a floating floor and you can't fasten it down using nails. It's good you have recycled his old flooring, but bad that you can't use it. Have you thought of installing a contrasting color in that room to set it off from the other room(s)? I have done it for clients, and even changed the direction and it "flowed" nicely. A simple transition between the two would make it work well.

Old 08-28-12, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Hello from MN! I know you said you did some calling around, but a quick search shows that this site: Kahrs Linnea 2-Strip Woodloc Walnut City 372016VA50KW 0 Style Hardwood Flooring at FastFloors.com may have what you need. I just googled "Kahrs 2-Strip Linnea Walnut Laminate"

Or you could leave a comment here: Kahrs Linnea 2-Strip Woodloc Walnut City at Discount Flooring and see if anybody has any.

I was also going to suggest checking on craigslist, but I see you have already.

Old 08-29-12, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Per Larry's suggestion I did approach trying to convince the wife to put in a different species but got shot down rather quickly. Ugggg, maybe I need to show her some pictures because my co-worker (and his wife) have three different species of wood in their main level and it looks great.

I did call fastfloors.com yesterday directly and the gentlemen I spoke with said they just got rid of their last batch of flooring and from what he can see won't be ordering anymore. I also contacted floormingo.com, the other site that seemed to carry the flooring, but I have not heard back. Didn't come across discountflooring.com so thank you for that site, I will check into it right now.

Thanks everyone.

Pat

Old 08-29-12, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Transfer the job of finding the flooring to the wife. She will see just how easy it is to armchair direct operations without getting dirty. I am being facetious, but what will happen when you run into a dead end?

Old 08-29-12, 03:30 PM
Larry, I couldn't agree with you more. The mud room tile, the mud room wainscoting, the dining room wainscoting, hanging the TV over the fireplace and wiring the living room for surround sound, the basement (still a work in progress) the landscaping, the the the...... you know what I mean. Always something to consider, always something that hits a snag but I always get the......well can't you "just" do it this way or that way or "why isn't it done" Uggggg, and that's why god created beer!