New floating floor and existing dining floor different heights - help!

Old 09-04-12, 01:55 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New floating floor and existing dining floor different heights - help!

My father was prepping the room today and discovered there is a 1/8 height difference between the existing dining room floor and the new floor. I bought the new floor months ago and the dining room is 10 years old - it is 3/8" thick Harris Tarkett. New floor is i believe 7 or 8mm Saso - i can't even find it online anymore. He suggested added another 1 or 2 layers of premium underlayment to make up the difference to bring it almost the same height. This would be a total of 2 or 3 layers. Is this correct ? He is leaving to go home on Thursday so we literally have less than 1 DAY to decide what to do. The new floor is non-returnable so i need a solution ASAP. Thanks!

Old 09-04-12, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Adding underlayment will make the floor squishy feeling and more clacky than it normally is. For a firm feeling floor, it may be as simple as a small transition strip between the two floors. You're gonna need one anyway, just minimize it as much as possible. I don't like store bought transitions, and make my own, so I have small ones when I need them, and larger if it is called for, but always minimized as much as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: