Where do I get "basketball court" poly?

Old 09-13-12, 06:31 AM
Where do I get "basketball court" poly?

I have an OSB (Advantech) floor storage room where I want some additional protection from possible water damage. Where can I buy a thick poly finish like used on basketball courts or bar tops?

It's getting cooler outside & this is unconditioned space so I'm thinking I need something that cures fast so overnight lows in the 50s won't ruin the job.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what is currently used on basketball courts but would assume it's a polyurethane. The last basketball court floor I worked on was close to 40 yrs ago and we used 7 coats of lacquer. I would think 3-4 coats of poly would be better than the 7 coats of lacquer. The temperature of the wood when the poly is applied is more important than the air temperature afterwards. 50 degrees won't hurt the poly any although it will slow down the drying time.

I'm not real familiar with the finish they use on bar tops but it's totally different than what's used on floors.

Old 09-14-12, 06:37 AM
bump.

Epoxy will cost about $250 for the 330SF floor and will be done in one coat. Polyurea should be cheaper & still provide enough protection. I've heard of "high solids", "quick build" poly but the brands at the big box stores don't seem to fit the description. Where can a DIYer get this?

Old 09-14-12, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll find your better floor finishes at your local wood flooring dealer [not the big box store]