Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

weird transition from wood to tile

MN

09-21-12, 01:22 PM   #1  
weird transition from wood to tile

I am trying to transition from 3/4 hardwood to a tile floor on a main floor bathroom. The problem is that the tile was laid at the same level as the current floor (original wood badly damaged). I do not want to pull up the existing floor because the sub floor is 3/4" pine boards, so if I pull up the existing floor I would not be able to run the new floor perpendicular to the joists because the subfloor is already running that way. So my plan was to lay the new floor on top of the old floor. This causes a problem with the bathroom. The tile in the bathroom is not that old and is still perfectly usable but the new floor will obviously be 3/4" higher. does anyone know of a good way to transition this without it looking like garbage?

Sponsored Links

NY

09-21-12, 04:27 PM   #2  
I assume the transition is in a door threshold. Sounds like a marble threshold would do a good job as long as it doesn't clash with the tile; there not the expensive;( probably have to recut the door though)

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-22-12, 06:35 AM   #3  
Is it your plan to lay hardwood over hardwood? Not the best scenario, and could cause squeaking problems. Even if you remove the hardwood, you will need to install a subflooring which will also cause a rise problem, so a threshold of some sorts will be in order, whether it be a wooden transition or a marble threshold piece.

MN

10-06-12, 07:20 AM   #4  
re

Thanks for the responses, squeaking isn't something I'm overly concerned about as the house is over 100 years old. And honestly a couple squeaks are part of the charm IMO. But I will check out the marble transitions and see what I can find.

Search this Thread