Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nailing/Stapling Hardwood Through OSB Underlayment

NJ

09-24-12, 04:26 PM   #1  
Nailing/Stapling Hardwood Through OSB Underlayment

Quick question. I want to replace the floor in my holder home. I currently have 3/8" OSB underlayment over 3/4" plank subfloor. I've heard the general advice is to avoid nailing hardwood floors to OSB. But does that still apply when the OSB is just the underlayment as opposed to the actual subfloor? In other words, can I nail/staple my new hardwood floors through the OSB underlayment and into the plank subfloor? Or will I still have the problems typically associated with nailing/stapling to OSB?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-24-12, 04:38 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! OSB is a common underlayment and for the most part poses no problems with the application of hardwood flooring. Particle board on the other hand should not be in the same breath as hardwood. Your problem may stem from the thin layer applied to the planks. Generally an application of no less than 1/2" and preferably 3/4" is done for stability. You will be running your hardwood across the joist direction at 90 degrees. What is the joist size and spacing as well as the longest unsupported span in the area you will be installing the hardwood?

Search this Thread