Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing poly finish from laminate

CAL

09-25-12, 03:03 PM   #1  
removing poly finish from laminate

I want to remove the poly finish on my laminate floor that was put on by mistake. What steps to take?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-25-12, 03:11 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Kitty!

What type of poly was applied to the laminate, oil or waterbased? How long has it been on there?
I don't know that there is going to be any easy or quick method

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

09-25-12, 07:53 PM   #3  
the poly used is waterbased and has been on the laminate floor about 3 years.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-26-12, 04:23 AM   #4  
The good news is the water based should be easier to remove than oil base poly. It's still not going to be easy. A couple of things to try would be scrubbing with a hot thinner like MEK or lacquer thinner and then scraping with a plastic "drywall" knife. Do a test area first!! There is going to be a fine line between removing the poly and harming the factory finish underneath. A citrus based paint remover might also be an option.

For the most part it's going to be trial and error as I doubt anyone has attempted a job like this

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

09-26-12, 07:05 AM   #5  
Ugh. I think I might leave this alone - laminate is not wood but rather a picture of wood on a cardboard-like substrate; I would be concerned the process of removing the poly would damage the laminate.

TX

09-30-12, 06:48 PM   #6  
You are better off, buying new laminate.

The dull look you will certainly be left with, will bug you.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-01-12, 03:40 AM   #7  
I agree with Perry, if the finish has been on for 3 years, that means the floor has been down for quite a longer time. I would, however, recommend an engineered floor rather than a clacky laminate. Just my preference, that's all.

Search this Thread