removing tile and matching existing hardwood

Old 09-28-12, 10:43 AM
removing tile and matching existing hardwood

Hello All,
We have hardwood floor throughout our upstairs and tile in the kitchen. We want to replace the tile and continue the hardwood floor into the kitchen but Im concerned about matching the color since our hardwood has been "lived-on" for several years. Also, it comes to an end where the wood meets the tile so there will be a seam or threshold where I add it in the kitchen. Any tips/advice for matching the stain? Should I resurface everywhere so the kitchen matches? and What about the seam/joint line Ill have?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-12, 11:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't guess there is any way of talking you out of putting wood in a wet area, huh? I have repaired too many wood floors in front of sinks and dishwashers where leaks occur. Never have done it with tile.

Old 09-28-12, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Very unlikely you will get an exact match without tearing out your existing wood as well but a transition between the two would suffice for most people. That said, I like tile in wet areas like Chandler as well.

Old 09-28-12, 11:29 AM
I like tile and have done it before in our previous home, but my wife likes the look of hardwood and she is seeing it all over in kitchens which isnt helping my cause. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to add a threshold between the kitchen and dining area to separate the spaces and match as best I can... thanks

Old 09-28-12, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your present hardwood ends with the short ends of the flooring, you can "breadboard" the opening with a piece of flooring, either new or old, and start your runs at that point, either in the same direction or change direction for a less intense look. Yeah, home shows don't help the situation any?? Can you post a pic or two of your proposed project area, including entrances, doors, etc?? May help get you on the right track. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html