Removing a tricky newel post, save balusters?

Old 10-01-12, 09:02 PM
Removing a tricky newel post, save balusters?

I have a newel post that is attached to the top tread of a staircase in the left hand corner where two railings connect. I have two issues. 1) I have the top railing loose but the balusters are holding the top railing in place. They seemed glued, and at the bottom they slightly twist but do not break loose. They are painted but I do not see how they are attached, maybe by nails at the bottom? 2) The newel post I removed the screw that was drilled in horizontally and covered by the wooden plug. The post does not seem to budge and I do not see any other way its attached. It seems wedged in the corner by the top riser/floor. I can send a picture by email. Please help. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-12, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Have you found the second plug on the newel post, yet? Is there accessible space below this area, say from a basement? Generally newel posts have two attachment points for stability, OR they have a vertical threaded rod holding them, which is also accessible through a plug. Maybe you could post a couple of pictures of what you have so we can see what you see. Yes, the balustrade is probably glued and nailed as a unit, and those nails on the bottom of the balusters hold them in until the glue sets up. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-02-12, 03:09 PM
Newel post picture

Please see attached newel post photo (it may be sideways)

I did not find the second wood plug. This post feels solid, even after the first horizontal screw was removed. Again, as you can see its cornered into the top last tread. This is the flight to the upstairs and have no access to the bottom through the finished basement. This is also new carpet, which is a lower profile than the the older carpet which is why you see the discrepency in the stain.

I also assume that if these balusters are nailed in they have to be cut out? Thanks for the help.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Wis99ski; 10-02-12 at 03:17 PM. Reason: sideways photo
Old 10-02-12, 03:56 PM
Are you going to use the balustrade back in this same position? Just wondering why you are removing it. You can always slip in a hack saw in the crack of the bottom of the runners and cut their dowels off, releasing the entire balustrade. To replace it you will need to be creative, but we've got you covered on that when the time comes.

Old 10-02-12, 05:31 PM
The whole purpose of this project is to sand down the grime from the prior homeowner, stain and poly. Since I didn't remove the railing before the new carpet went in (didnt have time) I didn't know or gave it all that much thought that staining would be dangerous in getting that close to the carpet. I figured removing the railings, newel post, and balusts would be a cleaner, safer and more thorough way to go about it. Everything is going back in its original spot. Sanding next to carpet let alone staining is a PITA. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-03-12, 02:54 AM
Let me clarify, don't remove the balusters via hack saw. You see the crack in the joint between the bottom rail and the newel post?? That is where I would cut the dowels, both top and bottom, and on both ends. That will release the entire balustrade in one piece.

Old 10-03-12, 09:50 AM
I am a little confused in what you mean by this. I see the crack between the newel post and bottom of the railing where the balusters connect. I have the top part of the railing where it meets the newel post free already. Will there be a way to disconect the newel post without cutting or damaging it?

Old 10-03-12, 01:40 PM
Most likely your newel post was installed prior to the skirt board and other molding being put in place. That is where your other connections are located. Unless you can remove all that and gain access to the lower part of the newel post, then it won't be removed. I would seriously consider pulling the carpeting back with tape, sufficiently enough to allow you to sand and stain it, then release the tape. You are looking for a really big job by removing your staircase just to put some stain on. I was trying to give you a method of removing your balustrade, but it appears you want the newel post out. Big job.

Old 10-03-12, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
purpose of this project is to sand down the grime from the prior homeowner, stain and poly
Stain only works on raw wood. To restain the post and handrail you'll need to completely strip the newel post and rail. This is best accomplished by using a chemical stripper and finishing up with sanding. It would be a lot easier to just clean it up, touch up the stain where it's missing and apply a fresh coat of poly.